To all the Juventus fans across the world I would like to wish u all a Merry Christmas, hahg same’akh (חג שמח), a Joyous Kwanzaa, and Happy Holidays. This is a time to give thanks and enjoy quality time with our friends and family. This is also a time to indulge in the opulent array of foods and deserts prior to making that New Year’s resolution to get a gym membership or actually use those P90X DVD’s.
So, in keeping with the season I say we have our cake and eat it too! Following a great recipe from TableSpoon.com, let’s savor the sweet success of Winter Break victory with a sweet piece of Juventus bianconero Zebra Cake!
Difficulty: Moderate (be patient)
Time: 1+/- 1 hour
Makes: one 9” to 8” round cake
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C or Gas Mark 4)
2. Using the bottom of the baking pan as a stencil, draw and cut out a circle from the parchment paper, lightly spray cooking spray in the pan place the circle on the bottom of the pan and lightly spray again, and set aside for later.
3. Set your mixer to a low speed and add sugar and eggs for about 2 min until combined then add oil, milk, and vanilla until to a smooth consistency.
4. In separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add this mixture to the wet ingredients with your mixer at a medium speed scraping down the sides of the bowl periodically. Batter will be ready when it is smooth and free of lumps. This is your White stripe Batter!
5. Remove 2 cups of the batter into a bowl, sift and stir the cocoa powder into this batter until it is smooth and free of lumps. This is your Black stripe Batter!
6. It’s ZEBRA TIME! Place your cake pan on a smooth flat surface and Scoop 3 tablespoons of the White Stripe Batter in to the center of the cake pan. Now, place 3 tablespoons of the Black Stripe batter into the center of the White Stripe Batter making it spread out. Repeat this scooping changing between the two batters to create a target like effect until there is no more batter.
7. Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or when the top is lightly browned. You can also use the tooth pick trick by piercing the center of the cake and it will come out clean if the cake is ready. Remove cake from oven to cool after about ten minutes.
8. When the pan is cool to the touch place a plate on top of the cake holding the pan and plate together tightly quickly flip over the cake onto the plate. Remove the parchment and slice to reveal your beautiful Juventus Zebra Cake! Frosting and decorating are optional but I would recommend a nice Yellow or Pink butter cream!
Mangiare è l’unica cosa che… Conte!
Back by popular demand, TeamEATS is a culinary guide to cooking and consuming the opposition. Each week, we pick a recipe from the home cuisine of Juve’s upcoming adversary, put on the kitchen apron and… cook it and eat it. Buon Appetito!